Asbestos Abatement NY services should only be handled by professionals. You may think that small levels of exposure are ok, but you just can’t chance the health problems that have been commonp among NY residents dealing with Asbestos. As an Asbestos removal company we understand the strict process that must be followed when removing this dangerous material from your home or office. While our company name may be Crime Scene Cleanup, we still have over a decade of experience dealing with Asbestos abatement.
Danger of Asbestos
Asbestos exposure causes a disease, which typically affects the lungs and is called Mesothelioma. This disease is extremely fatal with currently no cure. According to recent studies, almost 30,000 people were killed from Mesothelioma between 1999 and 2010. Asbestos materials were used extensively between the 1940’s and late 1970s when up to 11 million people were exposed to these dangerous materials according to the National Institutes of Health.
Common Locations Where Asbestos is Found
- Furnace piping and ductwork
- Various types of flooring
- Roofing materials
- Various types of insulation
- Popcorn ceiling texture
- Other older construction materials
If your home was built more than 20-30 years ago and you are preparing to do any type of remodel it is always a good idea to have your home tested for asbestos. It’s better to have peace of mind that you’re home is free from this deadly material than to unknowingly expose yourself to it and develop health complications down the road.
Asbestos Removal Process
- Protect Yourself – The most important step when performing asbestos abatement is to protect yourself. This includes wearing sufficient protective clothing and equipment which should include:
- A respirator covering both the mouth and nose with dual cartridges including HEPA filters
- Rubber boots
- Multiple pairs of disposable coveralls with built-in booties
- Multiple pairs of disposable gloves
- Prepare the Work Area – At Crime Scene Cleanup we clearly mark all working areas with warning signs to ensure that everyone is aware of any asbestos exposure. Next we remove any furniture and also remove all light fixtures and turn off the electricity to the area. Next we build containment areas with polyethylene sheeting. This allows us to work in an area and keep it contained from the rest of the home or office.
- Asbestos Removal – After the material is removed we dispose of it according to NY state regulations to ensure safety for all individuals that are involved.
Worried Your Home or Office May Have Asbestos?
If you suspect that your home may have asbestos, it’s best to call Crime Scene Cleanup to know for sure. We’ll be happy to come out to perform asbestos testing to see whether or not you indeed have anything to worry about. Contact us anytime at 844-255-2461.